When people talk about divorce lawyers, they might talk about what their fees are or their reputation in the court room. However, there are some other important – but less discussed – criteria for choosing a divorce lawyer. Check out the list below.
5 Important Criteria That Are Ignored When Choosing A Divorce Lawyer
- Your comfort level: This is one of the most important things that hardly shows on the list of the top priorities while selecting a lawyer. Given that it is a professional relationship and a sensitive, personal issue, one should be treated with respect and comfort. The more comfortable you feel with the lawyer, the easier you find it to work with your divorce attorney and ask anything related to the case. This ease helps your attorney in getting the exact details of the case and knowing how to proceed with the hearings and the protocol being followed.
- Know the line: Although it’s accepted that a person should be familiar with the attorney and share the details pertinent to the case, one should always keep an eye on the line. Some people are not able to control their emotions and begin sharing personal stories and psychological issues. This should be avoided as they are there for the legal assistance only rather than to serve as your therapist.
- Issues they will deal with: Divorce is a complex legal issue involving a lot of details and small things that need to be considered. This is not just the separation of two individuals, but in some cases might involve issues like child custody, and financial matters. One should know the issues they will cover like the alimony or the division of the assets along with the custody of the children (as the case may be).
- Support staff: It is not just the importance of a lawyer you hire, but also the support staff that they carry with them. One should confirm that the lawyer will have a staff who might include other attorneys or paralegals.
- Interest of the lawyer: This is one more thing that is often overlooked, but plays a very important role in the winning of the case. Every lawyer seems enthusiastic and interested at the start, but it’s important for your divorce lawyer to stay interested throughout the case. If an attorney is not interested in the case, he will miss out on some important points that might be relevant to the case.
So if you find yourself in need of an attorney to represent you in a divorce case, make sure to look into the big and little things to make sure you select the right divorce lawyer for you.
Joseph F. Botelho, Esq.
BOTELHO LAW GROUP
Attorneys At Law
901 Eastern Ave.
Fall River, MA 02723