There are many different types of student visas, each with their own eligibility rules, timelines and requirements. In order to ensure the success of your application, it’s important to choose the right visa, properly prepare your application and include all the required documents. If you’ve been accepted into a coveted academic program, you don’t want to take a chance of losing your opportunity due to delays with acquiring a student visa. That’s why it’s important to work with an experienced Massachusetts and Rhode Island student visa attorney that can guide you through the process. The Botelho Group is committed to providing the highest level of service to students seeking visas.

F1 Visa For Academic Studies

The most common type of student visa is the F1 visa for academic studies. It is issued to students outside the outside states seeking to study an academic subject or take an English language program at a college or university in the United States. Students must be enrolled full time in their program of study and meet the following strict criteria:

  • Must have a foreign residence and intend to return to your home country after your studies are completed;
  • You may ONLY study at the academic institution that you visa was granted for;
  • You must demonstrate that you are financially self-sufficient to support yourself for the duration of your academic program;
  • That you retain strong ties to your home country such as bank accounts, a home, a job offer and/or close family;
  • Proof of health insurance and
  • A letter from the college or university you plan to attend confirming that you are eligible for admission.

After your application is reviewed, you’ll be scheduled for an interview as the final phase of your application for an F1 student visa. It’s important to be properly prepared for the interview and to arrive with the required documentation. The Bothehlo Group is committed to helping you every step of the way through this process.

J1 Student Visas

The J1 Visa is for participation in combined and study programs that are sponsored by educational institutions or other types of non-profit organizations. The program must be accredited by the Exchange Visitor Program as designated by the State Department. There are a wide range of programs that are available, each with their own specific requirements. These are some of the most popular programs eligible for J1 visas:

  • Au Pair programs allows childcare providers aged 18-26 to provide care for a family in exchange for room, board, $500 towards academic study and a small stipend. You must be in good health, have childcare experience, speak English, have an international driver’s license, be a high school graduate and have no criminal record in your home country. You can only be asked to work a maximum of ten hours a day/45 hours a week and must complete at least six hours of post secondary academic credit during your stay.
  • Camp Counselor programs allow college students and youth workers from abroad to work at summer camps in the United States for up to four months. You must be able to speak and understand English, have experience working with children, be at least eighteen years of age and be a college student, teacher, youth worker or have a specialized skill such as sports or art. You cannot be asked to perform non-counselor duties such as working as a janitor, dishwasher, cook or office worker.
  • High School Exchange programs enable students aged 15 to 18.5 to attend a public or private school while living with a family in the United States. This program is for a maximum of one academic year.

M1 Visas for Non-Academic and Vocational Studies

M1 visas have many of the same requirements as F1 visas, but there is much more scrutiny of the program you’ll be attending. It must be a full course of study at accredited community or junior college, post-secondary business school or vocational school that grants at least an associate’s degree. Similar to an F1 visa, you must show that you’re eligible for the program and that you are able to be financially self-sufficient without working during the duration of your stay.

Massachusetts and Rhode Island Student Visa Attorney

If you’d like to study in the United States, hiring an experienced Massachusetts and Rhode Island student visa attorney can help ensure that your dream becomes a reality.