PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS IN FALL RIVER, MASSACHUSETTS & RHODE ISLAND
When a family member is injured, it’s important to have a trusted source of information about your legal rights. Out of pocket medical expenses can be astronomical and losing income can make the bills even more difficult to pay. That’s why it’s important to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney, as soon as possible, to find out if you are entitled to money damages. Some types of cases have very short deadlines, and without a prompt notice to preserve, guilty parties are free to dispose of evidence. That’s why you shouldn’t put off contacting an attorney after an accident. Every case is different, so the only way to find out if you have an actionable case is to speak to a Rhode Island and Massachusetts personal injury attorney that can apply the law to the facts of your case. The Botelho Law Group is the top personal injury law firm in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, serving Bristol, Plymouth, and Norfolk counties. Were you injured or involved in an accident? Contact the best personal injury lawyers in Fall River, Massachusetts at the Botelho Law Group to handle your case. Call (888) 269-0988 to schedule a free confidential consultation.
What Is A Personal Injury Case?
If you’ve been injured, and it’s not your fault, you may have a personal injury case. Most personal injury cases arise from negligence, which is defined as “failing to take proper care.” This could be anything from going through a stop sign to failing to leash a dog to not repairing a broken banister. In some cases, the actions are reckless, such as driving drunk or texting while driving. In some cases, the actions are intentional, such as defamation by spreading false information. As a practical matter, if the person that committed the negligent, reckless or intentional acts is not a large business or an extremely wealthy individual, it’s important to investigate applicable insurance coverage. If you’re severely or catastrophically injured the cost of care can be huge, and your full recovery may depend on access to state of the art care, so it’s important to hire the top Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton personal injury attorney that can help you collect the largest possible amount of compensation.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Almost any situation where somebody negligently, recklessly, or intentionally harms others can give rise to a personal injury claim, but these are the most common types:
- Automobile Accidents, including car accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accidents;
- Slip and Fall Accidents;
- Premises Liability;
- Medical Malpractice;
- Product Liability and
- Wrongful Death.
If you’re injured, and it’s not your fault, it’s important to call an experienced Rhode Island and Massachusetts personal injury attorney that can help you determine whether you have an actionable personal injury claim.
What Types of Compensation Are Available?
You’re entitled to collect compensatory damages from somebody that’s caused you harm due to their negligent, reckless or intentional conduct. The amount of money damages can be settled by negotiation or awarded by a judge or jury after a trial. These are the types of compensatory damages available to claimants in personal injury actions:
- Medical Costs: Even when there’s applicable insurance, out-of-pocket expenses for health care can quickly add up due to deductibles, co-pays, and the need to see out-of-network specialists. For victims with severe or catastrophic injuries, all applicable health insurance can be expended after just a few months of treatment. It’s also important to remember that compensation for medical costs is not simply for the bills that are piling up now, but for the medicals costs that you are likely to incur for the rest of your life. These are some example of the types of medical costs from a personal injury case:
- Physical Therapy
- Accommodations to Home and Vehicle
- Residential and Home Health Care
Hiring the top personal injury attorney in Massachusetts and Rhode Island can help you get the money you need for the best possible care, so that the quality of your life is improved as much as possible.
- Lost Income: You’re entitled to collect compensation for the income you’ve lost as a result of your injury. For example, if we’re out of work for six months, you can collect the salary you’ve lost as a result. If you’re a business owner, you’re entitled to collect the value of revenues that have been lost to your business due to your inability to work. Business owners can also collect compensation for the amount of money they’ve had to spend to hire somebody to replace them. Some injuries are so serious that they prevent you from ever working again in your profession. This can be anything from a construction worker with an injured back to a model with a scar on their face. In such cases, you can collect the difference between what you would have earned if you hadn’t been injured and your reduced earning capacity. This only applies if you now earn less than you would have in your pre-injury profession. For example, if a construction worker with a bad back goes to college, their earning capacity might actually increase, but the supermodel with the scar is likely to never be able to earn as high a salary doing something else. In some cases injuries are so severe that a person is permanently disabled from working, such as a spinal cord injury to the neck, creating a claim for lost earnings equal for the rest of your life.
- Pain, Suffering, and Mental Anguish: In addition to the quantifiable amounts you’re entitled to for medical costs and lost income, you’re entitled to collect compensation for your subjective pain, suffering, and mental anguish. In addition to your testimony, the amount of compensation is based on how much medical treatment you’ve had, how much is expected in the future, the impact on your profession, and your reduced ability to enjoy life.
- Punitive damages: In rare cases, a court will order punitive damages to deter the defendant from acting in this way in the future. For example, if a trucking company knowingly allowed its driver to do a delivery while he was intoxicated, causing catastrophic injuries.
In order to collect the highest possible amount of compensation for these objective and subjective claims, you need to hire a top-notch attorney. The Botelho Law Group is the top personal injury law firm in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, serving Bristol, Plymouth, and Norfolk counties. Call (888) 269-0988 to schedule a free confidential consultation.
CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON A PARTICULAR PERSONAL INJURY AREA OF LAW
Joseph F. Botelho, Esq.
BOTELHO LAW GROUP
Attorneys At Law
901 Eastern Ave.
Fall River, MA 02723